During April, we:
• Advised 28 inpatients at Prospect Park Hospital of their right to an independent mental health advocate, through frequent advocate visits to wards
• Gave 14 people general information and advice on NHS or social care issues
• Started giving NHS Complaints Advocacy to three new clients
• Accepted two new referrals for Care Act Advocacy clients
• Began helping two new clients with social care complaints.
Reading Voice is a ‘one-stop shop’ that aims to give local people advocacy that they are legally entitled to, from just one service, rather than being sent to different organisations. We have an 11-strong team of advocates who know all about people’s rights, breaking down communication barriers, and empowering people to have their say about their care and wellbeing.
We have also been busy producing Reading Voice leaflets in the top three non-English languages spoken in Reading – Polish (see picture), Nepali, and Urdu, to ensure we can reach all sections of our community. Let us know if you or your organisation would like copies.
Reading Voice works in partnership with Age UK Reading and learning disability charity Talkback.